It reminded me of part of our discussion on Argument by Slogan in our book Humbug!:
It is possible for argument by slogan to manifest itself in even more mindless ways. One of the most outstandingly mindless is the mass-produced "bumper sticker". Sloganeering marches may be futile, but at least walking and chanting is a mild form of healthy exercise. Political bumper stickers really only have one message, whatever the actual words on the sticker itself. The message? "I am a clueless poseur and I apparently believe, in the face of overwhelming evidence to the contrary, that an infantile declarative statement stuck on the outside of my car amounts to a persuasive argument. Further, I am so bereft of wit, imagination, initiative and literary skills that I have to purchase the sticker off the shelf, rather than creating one of my own."
We know that this might seem to some to be a harsh judgment. But truth must prevail, even if the truth offends those asinine advocates who are also sticklers for stickers.
Well, here are a few slogans on bumper stickers that meet my approval (via an old email):
- He who laughs last, thinks slowest.
- Everyone has a photographic memory. Some don't have film.
- A day without sunshine is like, well, night.
- On the other hand, you have different fingers.
- Change is inevitable, except from a vending machine.
- I just got lost in thought. It was unfamiliar territory.
- When the chips are down, the buffalo is empty.
- Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.
- Honk if you love peace and quiet.
- Despite the cost of living, have you noticed how it remains so popular?
- Nothing is fool-proof to a sufficiently talented fool.
- Just remember...if the world didn't suck, we'd all fall off.
- The 50-50-90 rule: Anytime you have a 50-50 chance of getting something right, there's a 90% probability you'll get it wrong.
- It is said that if you line up all the cars in the world end to end, someone would be stupid enough to try and pass them.
- Latest survey shows that 3 out of 4 people make up 75% of the world's population.
- The things that come to those that wait may be the things left by those who got there first.
- A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well.
- It was recently discovered that research causes cancer in rats.
- I wished the buck stopped here, as I could use a few.
- I started out with nothing, and I still have most of it.
- Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak